sponsorship and committee information courtesy of the Legislative Information
Since taking office in 2003, State Representative Lisa Dugan has committed herself to being an involved, engaged, accessible and responsible advocate for the people of the 79th District. Whether it is working on legislation in Springfield or helping local residents access state services and programs, Dugan remains devoted to responsive constituent service. She is a full-time, independent-minded Representative who puts community first.
Dugan serves as Chair of the Agriculture and Conservation Committee, Vice-Chair of the State Government Administration Committee, and is a member of the Elementary and Secondary Education, Health Care Availability and Accessibility, Tourism and Conventions, Veterans Affairs, and Appropriations Human Services committees. She serves on the Illinois Veterans Advisory Council and the Bipartisan Task Force on Local Government Consolidation Commission. Dugan also co-chairs the Illinois Fire Caucus and has served as co-chair of the Illinois EMS and Health & Facilities Planning Task Forces.
Dugan began volunteering her time with other local leaders to launch the Bradley-Bourbonnais Chamber of Commerce. She joined the Chamber's staff in 1994 and served as the President/CEO from 1998 until becoming a member of the Illinois House in 2003. Her primary focus while leading the Chamber was to work with local businesses, labor and community leaders to promote economic development and increase dollars coming into the community. As the former head of an organization of nearly 500 businesses, Dugan knows how important it is to create a climate that encourages economic growth and job creation.
An IBEW Local 176 union member, Dugan also understands the needs of working families. She was the first woman from Kankakee County to become a certified union journeyman electrician and she served on the advisory board of "Women in Non-Traditional Jobs." She is a strong voice for basic workplace protections like fair wages, dependable benefits and safe work conditions.
Dugan has made community service the foundation of her life. She has served on over fifty boards and community planning organizations around Kankakee County and the surrounding region. She also volunteered time to raise funds for many local non-profit agencies including Harbor House, a domestic violence shelter, Options, an independent living center that advocates for persons with disabilities, Easter Seals, Victims Assistance, Pause for Patriotism and the Manteno Veterans Home.
In 2004 Dugan established a Community Service Scholarship Program to recognize students who have taken a proactive role in their community. The scholarship provides financial assistance, donated from the lawmaker’s salary, to one senior from each high school in the 79th Representative District. In addition, Dugan developed 7 community advisory boards upon taking office that allows constituents from the district the opportunity to be involved in the decision making that affects all residents including but not limited to Veterans, education, healthcare and public safety issues.
Lisa Dugan was born in Kankakee in 1955, one of six children of Len and Toni Scheppler. She attended East Ridge High School and married her husband Jack in 1979. They have two adult daughters, Danielle and Jaclyn, grandson Dugan and granddaughter Abigail.
The 79th District includes portions of Kankakee, Iroquois and Will counties.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Mass Transit Advocate Award -Illinois Downstate Caucus
- Shining Star Award- Illinois Public Transit Association
- Legislator of the Year Award- Illinois HomeCare Council
- Activator Friend of Agriculture Award -Illinois Farm Bureau
- Legislator HERO Award-IllinoisVictims.org
- Legislator of Year Award - Illinois Association of Community Action Agencies
- Outstanding Legislator Award -Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois
- Excellence in Public Service Award - Illinois Hospital Association
- Legislator of the Year Award- Life Services Network
- Legislator of the Year Award-Northern Illinois Alliance of Fire Protection Districts
- Honorary Fire Chief – Illinois Firefighters Association for Cornerstone Training Program
- Recognition Award – University of Illinois Fire Service Institute for Cornerstone Training Program
- Public Official of the Year – IL Association of Chiefs of Police
- Legislator of the Year Award – Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois
- Legislator of the Year Award – Illinois Public Transportation Association
- Legislator of the Year Award – Illinois Association of YMCA’s
- Friend of the YMCA – Kankakee YMCA
- Small Business Legislator of the Year Award – Down State Democratic Caucus
- Friend of Agriculture Award – Illinois Agricultural Association
- Legislator of the Year – South Suburban Park and Recreation Community Leader Program
- Legislative Leadership Award – Kankakee County Mental Health Council
- Annual Tis’ The Season Toy and Coat Drive Support Appreciation Award – Garden of Prayer Youth Center
- 1st Responder Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Response Readiness Award– Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS), Division 7
- Support of Agriculture in Illinois Award – Will County Farm Bureau
- 2012 Legislator of the Year – National Guard Association of Illinois
Return to Previous Page